You’ll be amazed at what a perfect “cream” a mashed potato can make. For dishes like these, russets work nicely for texture, but red potatoes are the next best option.
Fun Facts: red lentils are the same as green or brown lentils-just without the skin.
SERVES 4 to 6 PREP TIME: 10 MINUTES TOTAL TIME: 30 MINUTES
- Avocado oil in a mister or nonstick cooking spray
- 1 medium yellow or sweet onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric or 2 teaspoons grated fresh turmeric
- 1 tablespoon unsalted vegetable bouillon powder
- 3 cups diced peeled russet potatoes (from 3 to 4 medium potatoes)
- 2 cups red lentils, rinsed and drained
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 cups chopped fresh kale
- Mist a large, heavy saucepan with avocado oil. Heat the saucepan over medium-high heat until a drop of water sizzles.
- Add the onion and saute for 3 minutes, until translucent.
- Stir in the curry powder, yeast, turmeric, and bouillon powder and stir another 1 minute.
- Add the potatoes, lentils, carrots, celery, and 6 cups water. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft.
- Add the kale and simmer an additional 2 minutes, until the kale is wilted.
- Remove 1 to 1 1/2 cups of the mixture along with 2 cups of the liquid and place in a blender and blend until smooth, with the vent slightly open so steam can escape (blend in batches, if necessary).
- Add the puree to the saucepan and stir until well incorporated. Serve.